[pure-silver] Re: light for viewing prints

  • From: Claudio Bonavolta <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 14:52:33 +0100

----- Message d'origine -----
De: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 07:21:00 -0600
Sujet: [pure-silver] Re: light for viewing prints
À: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

>How do you measure the "lux" part or set the intensity of halogen
>lights?
>
>--shannon

The tool to measure light intensity is called a "luxmeter" and you can find
some reasonably cheap ones, general models for ambient lighting, which are
sufficient for your/our limited usage.
Electronic stores have that kind of devices.

You should measure a light source at the same distance as the print will be as
light intensity decreases rapidly with distance.

"Way Beyond Monochrome" book gives some guidelines on light intensity to view
prints. I just don't remember the Lux values but should be able to give them to
you tonight.

You can dim a halogen light source with a ... dimmer, it's a very common device
available in all supermarkets.
But keep in mind that the more you dim a tungsten/halogen light source the
lower the color temperature resulting in a warmer tone.
That's not acceptable for color work and I would avoid it in B/W too.
If your light is to strong, use a lower wattage bulb but use it at full power
which gives a better color.

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch