[pure-silver] Re: light for viewing prints

  • From: Claudio Bonavolta <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 22:32:44 +0100

----- Message d'origine -----
De: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 07:21:00 -0600
Sujet: [pure-silver] Re: light for viewing prints
À: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

>How do you measure the "lux" part or set the intensity of halogen
>lights?
>
>--shannon

If you know exactly what illumination your print will be viewed at, then  you
should check it under the same intensity and, when possible, the same kind of
light source.
But, unfortunately, you probably don't always know in advance in what
conditions your print will be viewed and/or the same print may be displayed in
various places under different conditions. So I prefer to use always the same
light to verify my prints so they are more consistent.

In book "Way Beyond Monochrome" (page 60), there is table summarizing the work
of Henry Dryfuss on defining what a "normal" illumination can be.
Values between EV 7 (350 lux, 32 ft-cd) and 11 (5600 lux, 520 ft-cd) with a
medium value of EV 9 (1400 lux, 130ft-cd) are the more appropriate to display
prints and keep acceptable shadows and highlights.
Ralph indicates his evaluation illumination to be around EV 6 (ISO 100/21),
that is 175 lux (16 ft-cd), as this ensures good details in the shadows.

In my darkroom, I check the prints at an illumination of 190-200Lux (18 ft-cd),
just a bit lighter than Ralph and I'm pretty happy with this setup.

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch