[pure-silver] Re: holga focus and how do you scan a negative properly

  • From: Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 14:11:44 -0800 (PST)

Here is their website, but its in Ft Worth, Texas so there may be other options
out there for you.

http://www.barronphotografix.com/

Aaron Reece <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx> wrote: On Nov 7, 2007, at 10:15 AM, Mark
Blackwell wrote:

> I need a few flat bed in that I found a place now that will
> reasonably process 4x5 color sheet film at something other than
> hold up prices for souping the film, but contact prints are out of
> sight.

May I ask for contact information for the processor? I have largely
stopped shooting color in 4x5 due to disappearance of quality local
processing, but would like to get back in the habit.

> Now the question becomes how good is good enough.  For the web most
> quality scans are beyond what the web can show anyway.

Until I got access to a newish Canon flatbed with transparency
adapter through my workplace, I "scanned" my B&W negatives by placing
them on a lightbox and photographing them with my wife's digital P&S.
I then inverted the image values in the computer to get the positive.
It worked OK for the web as long as I didn't need to crop much. If I
had had a darkroom, I would have just scanned prints on a flatbed.

> I haven't tested yet, but I have an image that may well be the test
> case, of writing the file to film via a film recorder and then
> taking it back to the darkroom for a wet print.  Anyone ever tried
> this?

Yes, in fact, a co-worker of mine did this when putting together his
MFA exhibition 10 or so years ago, before inkjets were capable of
anything remotely resembling a photograph. He recorded color digital
images onto color negative material and made traditional prints from
the negatives. If you like I can try and put you in touch with him.

Please feel free to contact me directly so any further discussion
involving digital techniques can take place in another forum.

Best regards,
Aaron Reece
Oswego, NY, USA
oboeaaron@xxxxxxx