[pure-silver] Re: Polycontrast Paper Performance / Cold lite

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:57:28 +0200

RC papers need to be developed-out. Pulling them prematurely results in weak
blacks and uneven development. FB papers, on the other hand, can be
developed from 2 to 6 or 8 minutes with slightly increasing contrast.

Factorial development is not covered in my book (yet), but it is covered
briefly in AA's 'The Print'. Basically, you measure the time until you see
the mid-tones developing. Then, multiply that time by a factor of 4 - 8 (I
use '6') to get the total development time. Apply this consequently, and you
can make up for temperature and developer exhaustion changes, always getting
consistent contrast. It's a proven method that only works for FB papers.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht