[pure-silver] Re: Polycontrast Paper Performance / Cold lite

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:01:15 +0200

Besides offering my repeated objection against cold light sources, for this
and other reasons, I can propose another solution.

Try the tri-color green filter (Wratten 58). You can't get a softer response
from VC papers then using this filter. In combination with the tri-color
blue filter (Wratten 47), they can be used for split-grade printing.

I replaced my red filter below the lens with this green filter and added
another holder for the blue filter. The only disadvantage, they are very
dark, causing very long exposure times.

BTW, I fail to understand the, mostly N/A, fascination with cold light
heads. Is this a left-over Picker inheritance? Don't get me wrong, people
make good prints with them, but it is so much easier to get the same effect
from color heads or other diffusion light sources. Even folks with condenser
enlargers get more benefit from changing negative development than switching
to cold-light heads. I wouldn't be willing to put up with the fluctuating
light output of cold-light heads. Why do you like them so much?

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht