[pure-silver] Re: Polycontrast Paper Performance / Cold lite

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:18:07 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 6:18 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Polycontrast Paper Performance /
Cold lite

> Kodak published a formula for a variable contrast paper
> developer, D-64.  This
> was said to give a certain amount of contrast control for
> a single paper grade.
> There is also a formula from Adox, E-15.  This technique
> fell out of use when
> variable contrast papers became widely available.  The
> contrast range that these
> formulas provided was probably about 1 paper grade or
> less.
>
> Jerry

FWIW, here is Kodak D-64

Stock Solution No.1
Water (at 125F or 52C)                        500.0 ml
Metol                                           4.7 grams
Sodium Sulfite, dessicated                     33.8 grams
Hydroquinone                                    5.2 grams
Sodium Carbonate, anhydrous                    26.9 grams
(if monohydrated use 31.5 grams)
Potassium Bromide                               2.4 grams
Water to make                                   1.0 liter

Stock Solution No.2
Water (at 125F or 52C)                        500.0 ml
Sodium sulfite, dessicated                     33.8 grams
Hydroquinone                                   19.2 grams
Sodium carbonate, anhydrous                    26.9 grams
(if monohydrated use 31.5 grams)
Potassium Bromide                               2.4 grams
Water to make                                   1.0 liter

For use dilute at follows:
A, Soft
   Stock Solution No.1    360.0 ml
   Water                  600.0 ml

B, Medium
   Stock Solution No.1    180.0 ml
   Stock Solution No.2    180.0 ml
   Water                  600.0 ml

C, Hard
   Stock Solution No.1    180.0 ml
   Stock Solution No.2    360.0 ml
   Water                  420.0 ml

   To each liter of working solution developer add 4.0 ml of
10% Potassium Bromide solution. More bromide may be added
for warmer tones.
   Develop for not less than 1.5 minutes @ 70F (21C)
   This is evidently a modification of a developer devised
by Beers. I may have a reference to the original. Actually,
I think I have the formulas somewhere.

   Ansco/Agfa suggested a two tray method of variable
contrast development. The two developers are Ansco/Agfa 120
for the low contrast bath and either 130 or 125 for the high
contrast bath. 125 is somewhat less active than Kodak
D-72/Dektol. A more active developer for the second bath is
either Agfa/Ansco 103 or Kodak D-73. Agfa 103 is virtually
identical to Kodak D-72/Dektol.
   An even more active developer is Kodak D-73, billed as a
cold tone developer for Azo and similar papers.

Kodak D-73 for Blue-Black Tones on Paper
Water (at 125F or 52C)                    500.0 ml
Metol                                       2.8 grams
Sodium Sulfite, dessicated                 40.0 grams
Hydroquinone                               10.8 grams
Sodium Carbonate, anhydrous                75.0 grams
(if monohydrated use 87.5 grams)
Potassium Bromide                           0.8 grams
Water to make                               1.0 liter

For use dilute 1 part stock to 2 parts water.

  The two baths are used successively. I believe that Ansel
Adams used something similar.
  I doubt that these variable contrast developers really
have much effect on the paper contrast. It would be
interesting for someone with a reflection densitometer (I
have not) to actually test this out.

---