[pure-silver] Re: Personal Dev Times

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:20:00 -0400 (EDT)

From: Tarek Charara <tarek.charara@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Personal Dev Times
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 07:29:09 +0200

> If any of you have a practical zone system approach for reportage or
> street photography with 35mm film, I would be glad to hear it! I use
> the "over-expose, under-develop, bracket-when-I-can, adapt paper
> grade" approach for that kind of photography.

One advantage of negative-positive system is that you can use low
contrast negative and high contrast paper to allow greater degree of
control at the time of printing, rather than shooting. Standard
development with a g-bar of about 0.6 is very much low contrast, and
most current films have very good exposure latitude. So what you are
doing is perfectly fine, and I don't know why you want to bring more
work to the time of camera exposure, which already has many things to
worry about.