[pure-silver] Re: Kodak Discontinuing All Black and White Paper

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:19:42 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph O'Neil" <joneil@xxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 5:30 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Kodak Discontinuing All Black and White Paper

At 07:43 AM 6/20/2005, you wrote:
Kodak are quetly committing suicide.

-snip-

A few companies are. The economy of scale is ruinign many things.

The bottom line is this - it isn't that B&W products are not profitable - they are. You have an established product, an established consumer base, little or no R&D, and away you go.

The real problem is large companies look for how profitable. As a small business owner/operator, I am happy at the end of the day to turn a 5% profit overall as long as I have enough money to pay the staff, pay all my bills,a nd still put a roof over my head, have a decent - but not extravagant - car, etc, etc.

 Lots of snipping...

I think the real problem is in our economic system. This is world wide, not just in the US. The investment market has always driven corporate policy but ability to make rapid trades based on computer analysis of short term trends has removed some of the rationale from investing. The logic is simple: put the capital where it will earn the most profit NOW. There is some logic to this since long term investment requires a lot more and much deeper knowledge than predicting the very short term outlook. There are other factors, such as the tying of top managment compensation to short term stock performance. Directors are likely to make moves that maximise their own take rather than decisions that will be good for the company over the long haul. I am not at all sure that this is true of the Kodak management. The current chairman has worked for Kodak for some 35 years. I think they are attempting to prune the operations to prevent the company from being destroyed by its investors leaving.
Companies who are privately held do not have the pressure of having to meet some quarterly stock performance criteria. They can even choose to loose money for a time if that seems necessary to improve the long term performance.
I think we need to modify the way investment works in this country at least to encourage long term investment. Changing some stock market regulations is one way, changing investment and corporate taxation is another. IMO none of this will happen unless the economy becomes completely paralyzed, perhaps in a way even worse than in 1929. I suppose this is possible but is unlikely. Meanwhile, the concentration on short term stock value and current tax structure is benifiting about one half of one percent of the population in the US and is destroying working class economy, which forms the basis of the US market.
I don't know that if the rules were different that Kodak would have made other choices; I think they are in a difficult position beause the market for what has historically been their main products is disappearing.
IMO, there is an optimum size for everything. Most large businesses are probably too large right now. That makes them hard to manage however attractive the "efficiency" of large size seems to be. I think that "efficiency" is something of an illusion because businesses are not judged by their effect on the overall economy.
I could go on with this but it would soon become just ranting (but if you get good enough at that you can get a good job in talk radio).

---