[pure-silver] Re: Ilford Liquid Fixers

  • From: rusty57 <rusty57@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:12:35 -0700

>Hello Folks,
>Does anyone know of the differences between
>Ilford's Rapid Fix and their Hypam Fix, other than
>the first is not to be mixed with a hardener, and the
>latter can be so mixed. (I don't use hardener)
>As far as I have been able to determine they both use
>ammonium thiosulphate, and dilutions and capacities are the same.
>
>Reason for the inquiry is that the Hypam fixer is lower in price. Is there
>an advantage of the Rapid Fix over the Hypam ?
>Rgds
>Len Eselson

When I asked at the local photo store they said it was the same stuff--
just that the Rapid Fixer was called Hypam everywhere but the U.S and in
an effort to simplify they changed the name here to match the rest of the
world. There was  a short period of time where Rapid Fix went from 5
litres to 4 litres then back again. So check the volume of the containers
carefully.

I've used hardener with both.