[pure-silver] Re: Kodak Discontinuing All Black and White Paper

  • From: "Randy Stewart" <randal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:26:02 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Ellinger" <ellinger@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 7:33 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Kodak Discontinuing All Black and White Paper

> >     I just got word from my contact at Kodak that they will be
discontinuing all black and white paper.

> I think this is a Good Thing.  (Easy for me to say, since I don't use
Kodak paper.)
> Consolidating the market will make it more likely for the remaining
companies to turn a
> profit.  I'm betting on Ilford.

Let's take a moment to reflect on a past time when Kodak made and marketed
some of the best B&W papers in the world. I'd love to have Medalist back in
a choice of a dozen surfaces and colors.  Ain't gonna happen.  Kodak
abandoned the B&W paper market years ago for all practical purposes.  Ilford
maintains; Forte struggles to regain a footing.  Kentmore may well be ready
to provide some of that diversity we had into the 1970s.  It's a little
guy's market now. Sales volume down; cost of product will increase, but
decent B&W paper should be around so long as a reasonable number of us want
to pay for it.