[pure-silver] Re: Fees

  • From: "Eric Neilsen Photography" <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:55:22 -0500

I would suggest that it has to do with your target market. There are studios
here in Dallas, that charge a sitting fee which includes 1) 8x10 finished
print - that means mounted with an over matte, but no frame for $750.00.
That might include 10 to 15 rolls of medium format shots; extra prints start
at $250.00 and the sky is the limit. If you are looking for pricing
guidance, check with the PPA or similar organization. I believe that you can
pretty much get away with what ever the customer thinks you are worth.
There are wedding photographers that pull in a whopping $5,000 to $10,000
per weeding! I can't believe that people would pay that, but for some that
is nothing. The brides are putting on $15,000 dresses. It is SICK! But hey,
that is just me. What some people spend on a wedding an entire village could
eat WELL for a year.

OK, OK, I am dismounting my high horse. But... a reasonable fee which
includes a print or two that is hand crafted is not much to ask. If you look
at it in an hourly sense, a courier service is less than $150.00/hr, a clerk
to file paper work and book appointments does not make 150 to 200/hr. There
are certainly aspects of the shoot that cost a lot, and some that don't.

Is your product a quick print from a drug store or a finely finished work,
dare I say it, of ART?

40/hr is still a good living wage if that is after all your taxes, etc. It
is not top wages, but not every one gets overly compensated like the CEO at
Exxon : )

It is after all, just a portrait right.

Ok, ok.

Good luck