[pure-silver] Re: Fees

  • From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:09:51 -0400

<quote who=Ryuji Suzuki] date=[20/04/2006 12:47/>

> Most pros I know calculate their rates based on their salary and
> business expenses. That is, their fee is determined largely by the
> cost of college education of their children, health insurance, studio
> rent, and so forth. Also, don't forget that Italian wine and cheese
> cost 2x to 3x here at a store, and they cost 3x of the store price at
> a restaurant.

   Like I said, I have a job I don't need another.

   So $40 bucks an hour is my "what does losing my Saturday, my day off,
cost?"

    Of the few times I shot studio work for clients, I had this romantic
idea that it would be fun. It's not. It's super stressful. I've done
them all for free (plus materials). Even though it's free, you still
have a major responsibility to get at least one winner. The client is
expecting that.

   I had a friend of mine who got married. He loved my work. He asked me
to shoot his wedding for free. I considered it a gift. For him, he was
having his buddy shoot his wedding. I was going to cover the wedding the
way I wanted to cover it and the groom knew that. The bride? She wanted
a full out wedding photog with all the fixings and assumed that would be
me.

   Let's just say, she was REALLY ticked when she didn't see any
close-up shots of the candle on the guest's dinner table with the bride
and groom in out of focus background. Yech.

   So ya, I've learned my lessons.

Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.shampoo.ca