[pure-silver] Re: Fees

  • From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:28:23 -0400

<quote who=Dana H. Myers] date=[20/04/2006 13:27/>

> My personal advice?  You pursue photography because you enjoy doing it
> your way.  Don't think that taking money will make it any better; be
> totally self-indulgent and worry about your own happiness.  Don't accept
> clients; decide which projects you *want* to shoot.  When someone offers
> you an opportunity for a project, be totally upfront that it's all
> about you and your vision and they're lucky you're even considering the
> project.

   Dana. That's some great advice.

   I've always avoided professional work and when I've accepted it, I
kept prices very low thinking it would take off the responsibility and
the headaches. Big Mistake.

   Other areas where I made mistakes is putting images online.
Especially larger images.

   In the past 6 months I have:

   1) Seen my image on the cover of a local weekly newspaper. No credit,
no money. Turns out a friend gave it to the paper as a favor.

   2) Visited a trade show. There, in poster size is one of my images
advertising a company. I had shot a few shots of the model for fun and
gave him a copy to which he then gave to the manufacturer's marketing
department. He's sponsored by them.

   3) And now this model shoot that ended up costing me money.

   So ya, no more photos sent to friends. No more posting large images
on the web and I am going to be very upfront about what I expect in
terms of money and project direction.

    I probably won't get another job for a while because of this, but at
least my level of frustration will drop.

    That, and I am SO glad I don't do this for a living.

Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.shampoo.ca