[pure-silver] Re: Fees

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:58:15 -0400

At 12:21 PM 4/20/2006 , Ryuji wrote:
>I'm interested in things to discourage people from asking me to shoot
>their wedding. I've figured out that "never mention the price" strategy
>would work the best. Let them do the research and tell them to make me
>an offer, and I'll never have to refuse.

April 20, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

I've done that many times. It never fails. I have no idea if they have ever
actually done the research, but no one ever comes back with an offer. For
work I want, I quote a straight price immediately.

Sometimes I agree to do portraits for a reduced rate, because someone is a
friend of someone or whatever, but it is almost always a mistake. How can a
customer expect to get full service and quality for less money? Why should
we participate in such an unrealistic activity? I like to give the
impression that full price guarantees full quality, which of course I
deliver because that is the only way I can work.

There are many people I work with for free, but they have participated with
me in my life's work. It seems obvious I won't charge them money; I give
them beautiful prints so they will continue to work with me.

People who only want something pay in advance or I'm not involved.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326