[pure-silver] Re: Fees

  • From: Philippe Gauthier <pgauth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:53:25 -0400

Justin F. Knotzke a écrit :

  In the end, they took all the Polaroids, all the silver and C41 and
hauled it down to Photo Laplante in Laval where they will run it through
a Fuji Frontier.

I don't expect them to come to me after asking for a real print
either. They'll get what comes to them from the Frontier and think
that's as good as it gets.

That's precisely why I never want to do marriages... they're probably the worst available business out there, unless you can really appeal to a very demanding niche.

That said, were your sample Polaroids and prints identified to your studio? Photo Laplante showed a definite lack of ethics and arguably, a lot of disrespect for copyright law, if they scanned and printed pictures that didn't belong to their customer. You could, at least on theory, sue them for the lost sales.

Want to hear something bad? There is a guy in my photo club (who says he's been a pro for long) who advertises for marriage pictures "as many as you want" and "printed and delivered on the spot the same day" for 500 canadian dollars (that's about 400 US). OK, the cheap inkjet pictures will probably fade within five years and they probably don't look too good, but even then I cannot figure out how this guy and his assistant can even cover their expenses in time, fancy DSLR's, laptops and printers.

PG