[pure-silver] Re: Building sink again

  • From: Sauerwald Mark <mark_sauerwald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:59:19 -0800 (PST)

Mark

My advice (worth what you paid for it) in the format
of random thoughts.

I have two darkrooms - one has a commercial purchased
sink, the other is one that I made out of plywood and
fiberglass.  Both work fine, but I prefer the plywood
one because it is more stable.

The edge on the plywood sink is about 4"high, which I
find high enough to keep from having had any messes.
The commercial sink is a lot deeper, which puts the
trays at a level a bit lower than would be optimal for
comfort.  If I had to do the main sink over, I would
make it shallow and put it up high enough so that the
bottom is about the height of a kitchen counter 36",
or possibly even a bit higher.

I have a friend who built a plywood sink for a local
community college.  It is plywood, with a frame made
of 2x4s.  It was painted with an epoxy paint, and then
he took it down to a place that does spray on bed
linings for pickups.  The result is a durable non-slip
covering that has held up to 8 years of students so
far.

My main darkroom has two sinks - the main sink is
where I keep all of my trays, the secondary sink is
for washing only - it usually has two things in it - a
Zone VI wash thing which I use as a holding tray with
gently cycling water, and a vertical slot archival
wash.  These will handle up to 11x14, when I am
printing larger I use the entire second sink with a
Kodak Siphon thingy as my rinse.  This accomodates up
to 20 x 30, which is as large as I print.

My water supply has evolved over the years, with
different things being added little by little.  When I
built the darkroom I plumbed for hot and cold water
lines coming out of the wall above and below the sink.
 I have a normal sink faucet in the sink which I
mostly used for cleaning up, the supplys above the
sink go through filters, then a temp mixing valve, a
flow meter, and then a manifold where I have 4 valves
to give me tempered water in any of various different
places.  This whole thing is mounted on a board which
is bolted to the wall above the sink.  I am pretty
happy with the current arrangement, although there is
one pipe that has a kind of goofy routing (which makes
it a good place to hang towels :)

Mark