[pure-silver] Re: Building sink again

  • From: Howard Efner <hfefner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:49:17 -0700

On Feb 10, 2007, at 2:16 PM, Mark Blackwell wrote:

Well finally construction of my darkroom sink is about to begin.

Mark, having stayed out of the first go-around on the sink, me chime in now. My sink is about 6 inches deep - 17 ft long and about 23 inches wide. Will take 16x20 trays and some 20x24 trays depending on make. Should have made it a hair wider.

The front board is 2x8 so the depth is about 6 inches. Works nice. 2x10 on the back to serve as a back-splash and to carry the plumbing. Everything else framed with 2X lumber and a 3/4 inch plywood deck inside. Sloped everything at about 1/8 inch per foot towards the drain. For waterproofing, all the seams were caulked with paintable flexible (butyl) caulk, given a couple of coats of elastomeric rubber roof coating (elastoseal or kool seal) primer. Non-woven dacron reinforcing was bedded into the corners and seams. After the primer dried ( it still stays tacky) the finish coats of rubber roof coating were applied. A layer of FIBERGLASS screen was bedded into the finish layers to serve as a wear layer inside the sink. The finish coat gave a nice white sink that was waterproof. If is gets too grungy, simply apply another coat of the finish coating to bring it back to new. Mine has stood up well to silver, platinum/palladium, and carbon printing duty. The nice thing about the water born roof coatings is that they do not have the solvent stink of oil paint or fiberglass resin. Some mild ammonia odor as they are applied and dry. Use a foam brush!. They are available at most of the big box home stores or through RV supply houses.

Good luck with your project.

Howard