[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)

  • From: Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:05:17 +1200

On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 16:57 -0700, Jonathan Blake wrote:
> Draft número tres, muy expandida:
>
> Weaponmastery bonuses are replaced by Grand Weaponmastery bonuses, not
> added cumulatively (cf. Lone Wolf Club Newsletter 28).
>
> It seems odd that the Grand Master Discipline of Grand Weaponmastery
> with Bow only allows you to add 3 to numbers picked from the Random
> Number Table when using a Bow.

The above sentence is superfluous - its repeated at the end of the
paragraph.

>  If you have completed previous
> adventures, already possess the Magnakai Discipline of Weaponmastery
> with Bow, and have reached the rank of Mentora, it seems that you
> should already be able to add 5 to numbers picked from the Random
> Number Table (i.e. the basic Weaponmastery with Bow bonus of 3

+3 (to make it clearer)

>  added
> to the Mentora bonus of 2

+2

> for all missile weapons). It therefore seems
> strange that Grand Weaponmastery has a lower bonus than Weaponmastery.
>
> There are a number of reasonable ways to resolve this apparent inconsistency.
>
> The first is to assume that there is no inconsistency. As described,
> the Grand Master Discipline Deliverance also seems to lack a
> capability that its precursors Curing and Healing both had: the
> ability to cure 1 ENDURANCE point per non-combat section of the books.
> So there is a precedent for Grand Master Disciplines giving you less
> capabilities than previous Disciplines. If this is how you decide to
> handle this issue, the bonus of 5

+5

> earned in earlier adventures is just
> another hidden loyalty bonus (cf. Lone Wolf Club Newsletter 28).

gah. I would think if your recommending this approach the +3 WM-with-bow
bonus is the same as +3 GWM-with-bow c.f. CS bonus for WM vs CS bonus
for GWM ie they dont stack. The extra +2 would stack. It seems highly
unlikely the author wanted you to be adding +8 to every shot.

> Another possibility is that the Grand Weaponmastery bonus of 3

+3

> is a
> mistake, an erroneous carryover from the previous books that wasn't
> corrected, that should have been a bonus of 5

+5

> . This would parallel the
> Grand Weaponmastery 5 point bonus to COMBAT SKILL for other weapons.
> This seems a little unlikely given that the author had ample
> opportunity to correct this mistake.

And +5 to dice roll is a much more powerful bonus than shifting 2-3
columns on the Combat Results table in terms of success :)

> All sixteen books in the Grand
> Master and New Order series which were published over an eight year
> period contain the same bonus of 3.

+3

> Certain sections of the books in
> the New Order series are even worded as a reminder that the bonus is
> 3.

+3

>  On the other hand, there are numerous sections in the books where
> you are directed to add 4 or 5 (cf. XXXXXX).
>
> Yet another possibility is that the author did not mean for the
> Weaponmastery with Bow bonuses to be carried over to the Grand Master
> series at all. This also seems unlikely given that other Discipline
> bonuses do carry over.
>
> It is up to you to decide which of these options (or any others) make
> the most sense to you.
>
> As noted earlier, certain sections direct the reader to use different
> bonuses when using a Bow, ranging from 3 to 5, if you have Grand
> Weaponmastery with Bow. Depending on your feelings about the previous
> item, this may be the author adjusting the Grand Weaponmastery bonus
> on a case-by-case basis (and therefore this bonus should be used
> instead of the standard bonus), an error (and therefore all of these
> bonuses should match whatever you decide the Grand Weaponmastery bonus
> should be), or an additional bonus on top of the standard bonuses.
> Again, it is up to you to decide, but it seems most reasonable to
> follow the first option: to replace the Grand Weaponmastery bonus with
> whatever bonus is mentioned in that section.

Is this paragraph necessary?
Would it not be easier to say:
Project Aon recommends replacing the standing +3 bonus with the one
mentioned in the section, although if you feel like using your own bonus
then it is up to you to decide.