[projectaon] Re: Book 13 Erratum

  • From: Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 11:19:18 +1200

On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 15:56 -0700, Jonathan Blake wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 7:45 AM, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Over on the forum is a post about something we intend to alter for the next
> > release of Book 13, specifically the hoary old chestnut about re-picking
> > stats when transitioning from Book 12 -> 13. Since you don;t repick your
> > starts in transitioning from Book 1 -> 2 (just in case you might get better
> > numbers), it seems obvious to me that you do NOT re-pick stats, but some
> > feel otherwise.
> >
> > <http://projectaon.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=helpwanted&action=display&thread=2248>
> >
> > Anyone want to field a reply/response? Are we happy with the changes we
> > intend to make? Am currently laid low with a very unpleasant bug, so I'll
> > leave it in the capable hands of the rest of the PA staff! ;-)
>
> Hope you're feeling better now.
>
> This seems to have gotten very little discussion the first go 'round
> because we got caught up with +3/+5 Bow bonus. I can see the point of
> someone being at a disadvantage if they started in the middle of the
> series (although I wonder if anyone does that now that all of the
> books are freely available online). Should we just reverse our
> decision and leave it as "can"?

I believe we should leave it as "can".

Its my opinion that the Grandmaster books are balanced for a player not
carrying stats over from previous books. Therefore playing with stats
that are lower than the lowest possible book13-only stats puts you at a
distinct disadvantage (especially if you have not obtained the
Sommerswerd for whatever reason) - I actually get the impression this
whole thing was a way to nerf the CS imbalance by those with the sword
and those without (it would have been much better if the sword set your
base CS to X while wielding it rather than adding X - ah well). I cant
see any reason why a veteran player should not have the option of
dumping all their stats and resetting them for books 13+ if they so
choose. The word "can" implies you have this option, as does "should" -
but "should" is pushing an interpretation of the rules that is not
backed by any official (ie from Joe or newsletters) recommendation (as
far as I am aware).

Basically it seems like a case of changing wording for no benefit.