[projectaon] Re: 26tfobm errata

  • From: Jonathan Blake <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 16:44:36 -0800

> (ne) The Story So Far: footnote markers should not change the line spacing
> [PGS: In contrast to typeset books, HTML and Word both increase the space
> above the current line when it contains a superscripted character (such as a
> footnote marker). I believe this should be avoided/corrected at all costs.]

In the standard version, the difference in line spacing is minimal:

http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/26tfobm/tssf.htm

Minimal as it is, we can eliminate this through CSS.

http://projectaon.org/staff/jonathan/test-footnote-line-spacing.html

While we're under the hood (bonnet?), I also increased the line height
a bit to let the text breath a bit. What do you think?

On the other hand, the simple and simpler versions have a very
noticeable difference in line height:

http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/26tfobm/title.htm#tssf-1

The philosophy of the simple versions is to use minimal styling to
make them as compatible as possible with as many HTML viewers as
possible (e.g. mobile devices). For this, I think we should leave the
line height etc. alone.

> (ne) The Story So Far: em-dashes should have a space to either side
> [PGS: Omitting the spaces (as indicated in the Manual of Style) is contrary
> to the book, and also IMO looks far worse than including the spaces. I
> realise most grammatical guides probably indicate no spaces either side of an
> em-dash, but personally I've always thought this to be a mistake, except
> where dialogue is being interrupted. For correct line-breaking, the preceding
> space should be non-breaking, while the following space should be normal.]
> [so: See Wikipedia for more information. As we are following the Oxford
> (serial) comma, we also follow the Oxford non-spaced emdash. As it happens, I
> find this more aesthetically pleasing than spaced endahes, anyway. Adding
> non-breaking spaces increases the complexity of the code unnecessarily, IMHO.
> Spacing also becomes a problem when typesetting justified text either online
> or in epub/PDF versions.]

To do spaced emdashes properly, we'd need non-breaking hair space. The
closest that Unicode offers is the narrow no-break space (U+202F). I'm
dubious about how well browsers (especially ebook and mobile browsers)
handle this character. To see what the open set emdash (using standard
width spaces and an endash) would look like in the books, take another
look at that test page:

http://projectaon.org/staff/jonathan/test-footnote-line-spacing.html

I'm with you on this one, Simon. I might like a bit of space
surrounding the emdashes, but this is too much. I think we should
leave this alone.

> (ne) The Story So Far: War-thanes -> War Thanes [PGS: Should either go back
> to the original version, or add this new version to the Manual of Style.]

I vote add it to the MoS. Here's the context for why we changed it:

//www.freelists.org/post/projectaon/Errata-Sprint-Addendum-8-Welcome-Back-Jon

> (ne) The Story So Far: Sun-crystal -> Sun-Crystal [PGS: Should either go back
> to the original version, or add this new version to the Manual of Style.]

Also add MoS. The general principle is that only the first letter of
hyphenated compound words should be capitalized (cf. what we've done
with Lord-lieutenant).

> (ne) The Story So Far: ‘...? the greed of King Ryvin’s elder son, ->
> ‘. . . the greed of King Ryvin’s elder son, [PGS: Correction in line with
> both the book and style manual. Also note the extra space after the ellipsis
> in your version.]
> [so: Fixed the trailing space. Respecting the ellipsis character, we settled
> on this way after quite some experimentation, and I think this is the
> happiest compromise we could find. With three separate periods, spacing
> becomes a problem when typesetting justified text either online or in
> epub/PDF versions.]
> (ne) The Story So Far: unless we are able to overcome this creature?...?and
> swiftly.’ -> unless we are able to overcome this creature?. . .?and
> swiftly.’ [PGS: Correction in line with both the book and style manual.]
> [so: See above.]
> (ne) The Story So Far: Zorkaan failed to kill Lone Wolf ... but he was able
> -> Zorkaan failed to kill Lone Wolf . . . but he was able [PGS: Correction in
> line with both the book and style manual.]
> [so: See above.]

Yeah my typing teacher would shoot me, but using the single ellipsis
character rather than making a composite with periods saves a lot of
headaches. I've gone ahead and struck that section from the Manual of
Style.

> (ne) The Story So Far[x3]: dates include a space [PGS: In the book, MS5063 is
> used, while you use MS 5063. Is this a general thing? Problem is, in
> paragraph 4 the date then breaks across two lines. I suggest, if a space is
> to be used, it should always be a non-breaking space.]

Good thought. Fixed in XML.

Do we need errata entries for the spaces included in the years for
these later books. Earlier books seem to have the errata entries.

And that's all she wrote for the pending issues on The Fall of Blood Mountain!