RE: Free TTS engines

  • From: Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 07:00:55 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, Sina Bahram wrote:

You can try out espeak , even though I personally find it atrocious and

I thought espeak was in c++?
And what's wrong with it? Have you ever used it on linux?
I use linux every day and I use espeak for my screenreader (speakup).
I also know lots of other blind people who use espeak for their screenreader since its not worth buying the IBM reed stuff for linux.
The  only other choice is festival or flite which sound a lot worse.

But I use espeak on my mp3 player and linux and find it fine.
I believe I tried it on windows once  and it couldn't say words properly.
You could barely understand it. So maybe linux has some sort of dictionary file or just better support.

I believe they have a source forge page.

I think they do yes.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/