Free TTS engines

  • From: "Andreas Stefik" <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:42:16 -0800

Hey folks,

Anyone know a good text to speech engine that will work on mac OSX
through Java? The sound based debugger my research team is building is
currently using the one built into the macintosh platform, which
sounds downright awful. On PC we're using the Microsoft voices, which
aren't wonderful, but aren't too bad. We've tried using FreeTTS as
well, but "subjectively" we don't find those voices to sound very good
either. Does anyone know of a good, preferably free, text to speech
engine?

Thanks in advance,

Andreas