-=PCTechTalk=- Re: question about "My Way" program

  • From: "GMan" <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 13:55:53 -0400

Cristy,
    No.  Carpet retains far too much static, regardless of the weather.
Raising the drive up at least 2 inches on a non-conductive object (such as a
cardboard box, a plastic case or even a stack of CD/DVD cases) will keep the
drive isolated from any static that might be in the carpet.  As an
alternative, you may have enough room in the case to lay the washcloth on
the bottom of the case and then carefully lay the hard drive on top of it.
The case itself is grounded (as long as the power cord is plugged into a
wall socket) and will shield the drive from the carpet.

    Keep in mind that you may still need to raise the old drive because the
IDE cable may be too short to reach the old drive.  If possible, disconnect
the Secondary IDE cable from whatever optical drive(s) the PC has and use
that one for the old drive.  This way, you'll be able to keep both drives
set as the Master on their respective IDE channels, assuming that both are
already set as Masters, of course.  You just won't have assess to your
optical drive(s) during the operation.  Another benefit is that the data
won't have to travel both directions along the same IDE cable, which should
help speed up the procedure a bit.

    As far as the latch goes, it should slide about a quarter of an inch and
in one direction only.  There may be more than one and both will need to be
operated at the same time before the case will open.  It may even require
three hands (two to work the latches and one to slide open the case cover).

Peace,
GMan