-=PCTechTalk=- Re: odd icon on desktop

  • From: Jim <n1jmm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 16:25:45 -0400

I searched my entire drive and I didn't find any header.tmp file, and
per someone elses post I didnt find any heaing.tmp files either.

My guess is it is from a word processor or wep page builder program.

Of course there is always the possibility of a virus/trojan infecting
your machine.

Items in the desktop folder are displayed as icons on the desktop,
remember, depending on which OS your using and how you logon you may
have seperate desktop folders for each user or you may all use the
default desktop folder. Generally anything in there is displayed on the
desktop screen as an icon. However if they arn't there at boot up but
are created later it may take a while for them to be displayed, of
course you could always right click on a blank part of the desktop and
choose refresh to reload the icons, however a method that will show more
immediately would be to open explorer (not internet explorer) and find
the desktop folder your using, open it and leave it on the screen while
you go about your 'tasks' on the computer and periodically check it to
see when this icon/file appears. Most likely it will happen right after
you open the file/document/web page that is causing the problem.

Another option is to wait for the icon to re-appear, then right click on
it and select properties and get as much information about the icon and
what it represents as possible.

As for deleting the file/icon, once you know what it is deleteling it
shouldnt be a problem, worst case is it would be considered a system
file which usually can only be deleted when booted from another OS or
floppy or done during bootup such as doing it automatically in a batch
file or booting up in the safe mode. Another possible problem is the
file may have other properties set like hidden or read only, any of
these should changeable from the right click properties menu.

-Jim-