-=PCTechTalk=- Re: memory question

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 01:23:25 -0400

Congratulations, Cristy!!!       :O)

Your experience is not much different from what the rest of us tech-heads go
through.  I've had several times when a stick wasn't quite in all the way
and I had to go back in to redo it.      lol

CPU-Z will always label them according to use while your mainboard will
label them according to placement.  Most mainboard makers are nice enough to
make them match, but you obviously have one of the oddballs that don't.  The
important thing is that you were able to work out the locations and then got
your system running in DC.  If you REALLY want to see the actual difference
in performance, you will need to install and run a memory benchmarking
utility twice.  Once with the sticks in DC and once with them in SC.  It
would require that you go back into the computer and swap two of the sticks
to take it out of DC for one of those tests.  Then, go back in and swap them
back for the second test.  I might be able to save you some of the trouble
by providing a link to some already run tests on another system.  The
results won't be exactly the same as what your system experiences, but it's
still be a similar jump in performance.

When reading the accompanying text, leep in mind that it was written in
April of 2005.  Many consumer level programs have been optimized for DC
since then and today's real-world results would certainly reflect that fact.

http://www.tcmagazine.com/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=128

Peace,
Gman