-=PCTechTalk=- Re: memory question

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 00:45:28 -0400

When loking at memory speeds, it should be noted that the two names give for
a specific speed are very much related.

You are dealing with two different memory speeds here and it's easy to see
where you're getting a bit confused.  On the one hand, you have several
modules designed for 400Mhz (PC3200) operation.  The first number goes by
the clock speed of the mainboard bus on which they will run.  Since these
are "DUAL data rate" (DDR) sticks, cut that number in half to arrive at the
actual bus speed of 200Mhz.  This is the number reported by CPU-Z and
similar utilities.  The two sticks that are not in the computer right now
are also of this variety and should work well if installed with the new
ones.

On the other hand, the slower stick is designed to run at 333Mhz (PC2700),
which means it expects to be mounted to a mainboard with a 166Mhz memory
bus.  Ignoring all dual-channel considerations, if this stick is installed,
it will command that the entire board's memory bus be reduced to the 166Mhz
speed and the rest of your RAM will run slower than designed.  While it will
not necessarily hurt the faster RAM, you will not be getting full use of
them and the performance of the system will be considerably slower than it
would be without the slower stick installed.  Now, add back in the fact that
the single stick also disables dual-channel mode and it's easy to see that
it's probably not worth keeping the slower stick in there.  An exception
might be adding a LARGE slower stick to a pair of really small matched
sticks with a faster speed.  The addition of a LOT more RAM may offset the
loss of speed and DC mode.

So, remove the slower stick and its 'match' and install the other two
matched set instead.  Before closing the case, fire up the system and run
CPU-Z to make sure the system has indeed returned to DC mode.  If not, shut
down and remove the two smaller sticks since they refuse to play nice with
your shiny new 2GB set.

Peace,
Gman