-=PCTechTalk=- Re: memory question

  • From: "cristy" <poppy0206@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 20:17:36 -0400

Gman,

too late , ;) my brother stopped by (a rare event these days), and I made
him "let" me put the new memory in and take the old out, however; I needed
him to get the blasted ** computer cover off, I just could not do that.  He
actually had to slap the side of it to loosen it up before he could slide it
off.  So unless I learn how to slap the computer correctly (which I often to
have motivation for ;0) I cant get to the guts of it to work on it lol..
Anyhow, I found it very easy to take the old memory out.  Putting the new in
was a little tricky sometimes if I could not push hard enough to hear one
end click in but think I can handle that from now on.

I put the new memory in slots 1 and 3, my brother showed me where those
slots were, he could see them numbered and tried to show me, I could not see
the numbers but will remember which end is the first I think.  I decided to
leave the 512 mg one that was in there previously and added another 512 mg
from my older computer that is deceased.  They were both Kingston memory and
looked the same.  Unfortunately, I did not look at the speed on them but my
brother glanced at it.  I feel sure they were matched totally and I recall
about when I purchased those two sticks.  I did a memory upgrade about two
years ago and put one stick in my old computer and one in the new I believe.
I think my old one must have come with 512 mg originally and I added another
512 and my bother put the other 512 in my new computer to upgrade it a
little even though, "sigh" he did not match itas a pair.  I think at the
time he had mumbled something about it not being the best way but put it in
anyway.  I now had 3 gig memory in the newer computer.  Is there a way to
check the speed of all the sticks after they are installed?

Also I uploaded two pics to the yahoo site of the guts of my old computer to
see if you could tell me if I have the components right (i.e. I know what I
am looking at) and if anything may be worth saving.  You will see shot 1 and
shot 2, both really similar front row, I think I see from left to right,
power supply, fan, sound and vid cards, memory, back row, a few drives CD
and DVD and mother board laying flat on the floor in middle?

thanks!

Christine