-=PCTechTalk=- Re: help going online

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 01:52:59 -0400

Ahhh, so your computer was expecting a network connection instead of a
direct cable connect.  A network connection typically uses internet IP
addersses such as 192.168.0.100, 192.168.0.101, etc., but a direct cable or
DSL connection (no network) will expect to receive an external IP (the one
assigned to you by your ISP).  Those external IPs can never begin with
192.168.etc. since that IP range is reserved for internal networks.
Confused yet?     lol

All it means is that it sounds like your computer expected an IP address
that wasn't available without the use of a router.

Peace,
Gman

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php