-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Strange error report and resident shield findings

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 17:53:09 -0400

Sandi,
    The folder called WERfaf6.dir00 is just one that Windows puts there to
hold its reports following a crash.  They can be deleted unless you plan to
use them to try and track down the actual problem.  I should probably
mention that using them is a nightmare unless you have specialized (very
expensive) software designed for that task.

    It sure sounds like a false positive to me (i.e. your AV is flagging
files that Windows created as part of a crash report), but that's easy to
say given that it's not a system sitting right in front of me.  It could be
that the system crashed at the same time that the original false positive
files (from Weather Pulse?) were loaded into memory.  The report includes a
dump of your memory contents, so it likely triggered a second false positive
based on that duplicated code in the report itself.

    I suspect you won't have any more problems with it since you updated
Weather Pulse and quarantined the report files.  Those two actions should
have removed the false positive from most locations on your system.  The
only one left would be in your System Restore files.  If you cone up with
any more alerts, check to see where the file is located before you panic.
If it's in the "System Volume Information" folder (as I suspect it will be),
ignore it.  The alternative would be to turn off System Restore, reboot and
then turn it back on to clear out all of your restore points.  That just
seems like overkill to me in this situation.

Peace,
Gman

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php

"The entire future of humankind is yet to be written"