-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Strange error report and resident shield findings

  • From: "Sandi Beach" <sandib2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 10:31:20 -0500

Just finished running CHDSK and was starting to search for results when I
got another message that the system had recovered from a serious error.
Error signature: BCCode: ea--and a long string that I started to copy when
Win Patrol again popped up to tell me about a new auto startup program has
been detected.  Described as %system root%syst 32/dump O-k.  I checked out
the Plus information and found the following. Copied and pasted:
Dump Report- DUMPREP.EXE

A new feature was introduced with Windows XP and 2003 that detects when your
machine had serious problems offers to send the collected error data to
Microsoft's Support server. This file may also appear as either DUMPREP 0 -K
and DUMPREP 0 -U.

This program is added to your Startup programs and the next time you reboot
you'll be asked if you'd like to report the problem to Microsoft. Nobody
knows what Microsoft does with this information. It's possible if they
receive enough error reports caused by a particular program they'll contact
the vendor and suggest they update their program to work better under
Windows XP.

It's not a bad idea if they use the data effectively but you're under no
obligation to send information about your system.

This message replaces the old Windows "blue screen" and if you're seeing it
often you may have a program which is behaving badly under Windows XP/2003.
This entry will be removed automatically the next time you reboot.

Some sources suggest that turning error reporting off will result in fewer
crashes, particularly in crashes that involve Internet Explorer. If you'd
like to give this a try, go to Control Panel and select the "System" icon
(classic view). Click the Advanced tab, and then clicking on [Error
Reporting]. Click the radio button next to "Disable Error Reporting". Leave
"but notify me when critical errors occur" checked.

a.. Safe
G, this brings to mind that something was on the screen briefly about a
missing file.  Could this be the one? And Microsoft is unable to process
error reporting?  And could it have been removed when I ran CCleaner for the
first time?
Another thing, what I jotted down from Win Patrol, before going to plus
info, did not have dumprep--just dump.
Clear as mud I suspect!  But maybe, if we get enough clues before my system
dies, we might be able to fix it.
Sandi