-=PCTechTalk=- Re: SpamAarrest??

  • From: "cris" <cris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 08:51:28 -0400

Thank you for letting us know.
I did ok him - and had heard of the program and so I ok'd it.

I joined a list a few weeks back and my 1st experience there was with a person
who put MAILDUSTER on their computer. The immediate response from this mail
duster program was intended to deter spammers (who weren't even receiving the
message because of their forged addresses) and the message was very very rude.
With complaints, he adjusted it to a less rude message - but still rude. He then
removed it when it was pointed out to him that he was just letting spammers know
that they hit a live e-mail address by responding to them. It became a very
nasty situation on the list. He was defensive, other people were ticked that he
was calling them names...

This spam arrest message was very 'tame' or mild mannered - and with the rise of
spam being what it is, I can understand people trying the different programs to
see what works for them and what doesn't. One day a while back when I was
'reading up' on spam, I read about these types of programs. I hoped that it
wouldn't come to that, but was made aware that it might, and that some large
servers were looking into that method of weeding out potential spam before it
reached their customers. If they got a human response, it would be forwarded to
their customer. This is a problem with newsletters - and some auto-verification
systems. They are legit, but don't have humans on the other end to respond.

I just say - it's a shame that spammers are ruining it ! I've read that in some
offices, they've  eliminated e-mails from outside the office due to spam levels.
I found out that my husband's office monitors e-mails.  I rarely send him a
joke, but I did one day, and I think it said something like 'poop' or a similar
fairly mild use of a word for something else. Then he wrote to me on that and I
responded back - so it came in 2X to him. He got a notification that
inappropriate use of language or something was being used! I'm sure it is just a
word filter - and they aren't reading his mail - but it was still a surprise!!
It wasn't even a swear word - or anything terribly inappropriate. I don't recall
what it was now.
CrisS