-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Rose's Completely Simplified Organizational Method

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 01:49:47 -0700

GMan,
I have used at least a yardstick between myself and multiple OS' and/or a
Dual Boot System.

Fear of the unknown is probably why.  I have some thoughts based on
'nothing' that this would be fairly complex and then require quite a bit of
learning (can I ?) and babysitting.

If I install a program in one system, do I have to install it again
(possibly in the same folder) for everything to work in both systems?

I an totally ignorant about this and have felt it would take quite a bit of
reading and study to accomplish this and feel comfortable with it.
(Like I had to SAY I was totally ignorant about it... I am sure my previous
sentences proved that already..but..being redundant..is a habit of mine.  I
always want to be sure I get my message across and understood....LOL!)

I will try to keep an open mind to this suggestion.  I hear a lot of talk
about it,  but have not experienced it at all.  I have read a bit about it
being recommended in Vista talks.

When you mentioned CD/DVD backups, I have to admit...I cringed.  The thought
of backing up to those small volume devices is a nightmare to me.
Why would I want to backup to a CD/DVD when disks drives are dirt cheap and
much less time consuming to make a backup and also much less time consuming
to retrieve data from and restore it?

When I can buy a 500 GB hard drive for $140 why would I want to use the
other media?  (Now I know I do not need to buy any drives...and I have more
than I need.)  For that $140 I could create a backup of most of my data.
The cost of doing so on the 111  DVD's that would take  @$0.19 ea would be
$21.00 (111 x .19).  The amount of time would be days.  I could pretty much
let the system back itself up over night (and maybe a bit longer) without
any intervention on my part.  If I had two such drives,  I would spend
$280.00 and I could make hundreds of backups on each one.  I could also
easily restore my data if need be much more easily that the 111 DVD's would
allow me to do.  I could restore a file a folder a directory or a whole
partition in  much less time than it would take to find the exact DVD's I
need to restore the data.  The labeling and storing of these many DVD's
would be so cumbersome.

My hard drives would be useable over and over and over.  The DVD's, unless I
am willing to spend about $0.50 each would be a one time burn.  So I would
continue to have to buy new DVD's.  That $21.00 backup just jumped to
$55.50.  I would need at least 2 sets at a time, so now we are at $111.00
and 222 DVD's.  This is a large library to CREATE and MAINTAIN.  And again,
a daunting task (in my mind) to use to restore.

I have a habit, and probably a bad habit too in that I give very long names
to some of my files, especially graphics and scrapbooking file folders and
files.
In the Scrapbooking arena, everyone is worried about getting credit for you
using products you purchased from them. You receive files with long names
and weird characters !@# ~ etc.  Sometimes the file names are too long when
burned to a DVD. This can sometimes cause you to lose the DVD or the
file..or both.  But I have not had a big problem with ones that are backed
up to a hard drive.
In my Scrapbooking partition is one folder is 21.3GB and represents
purchases I have made in the last 6 months.  It has 16,000+ files in 2600+
folders.(There is redundancy in these files, but I do not care.  It is the
ease of use, and finding what I want, when I want it that is most important
to me.  My time at age 62 is more important to me.  This may or may not be
the biggest single folder in that directory, but there are a number of large
ones.  Just the 163 GB of Scrapbooking files is enough to make me want to
say no..I am not interested in sitting and burning DVD's.

While my mind is not very open on this subject, it is not closed.  Maybe you
can convince me.If I did not have the hard drive space the money could well
be an issue with me and things could be different.

Re-reading your message, I realize I "MAY" have "SLIGHTLY" over-reacted to
your CD/DVD backup suggestion you said you would mention in FUTURE email(s).

I do not think I know everything...as evidenced by my fear of dual booting
machines.  I do admit..they sound sexy.. but I am concerned about learning
about them and what it takes to maintain them.  I am opened and interested.
I do like the idea of being able to switch the master/slave cables (and
drive settings) and then have a system up and ready to work to resolve
issues.

My use of a computer is for fun, family projects, making a family legacy for
my children and grandchildren..(their pictures and the history of their
ancestors.
I also like to just goof off and have fun playing games and chatting and oh
yes.. talking to tech folks....lol! (I do banking and taxes and the other
ugly things in life I have to do too... ha ha!)

So, anything I can do to allow me to do that..sounds like a plan.... My ears
are open.....(and my eyes..although I have to admit..this SOUNDS like a
conversation, rather than written correspondence...I love it!

Thanks so much... You are AMAZING!
Rose