-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Rose's Completely Simplified Organizational Method

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 19:31:29 -0700

Wow!  You did good...again.... Gman... spelling this all out, and asking the
perfect first question.

Question 1:    Do you have a specific reason for separating your Utilities
from the
rest of your Program Files?

 When I was laying all this out for you, I was tempted to move the Utilities
to the Programs Partition as a sub directory, and not share this wart... but
I decided to be 100% honest.

Your first question..is one I have NO answer for.

First, MY definition of Utilities is something that keeps my computer
running better or can fix computer problems..or..is used by all
programs...sort of like the Swiss Army Knife.  I consider programs like Win
Rar, Win Zip and email backup programs. Tweak UI, Partition Magic, Go Back,
etc. as Utilities.  They help me keep my computer going and in my (sick)
mind do not fall into one of the other categories for which I have created
partitions.

The Utilities Partition. I believe was the first specialized partition I
created.  I had followed the sheep and instructions and always installed my
programs in my C::.
Then, I had a problem and I could not get to the Utilities I needed to fix
the problem, or at least research it.  So, When all was said and done, I had
to reinstall Windows and when it came to reinstalling the Utilities, I
decided  I would not put myself in that position again, and created a
partition on another drive for my Utilities.

As time when on, I started thinking I should not put some other things on my
C: and I just left Utilities on its own.

The Utilities Partition SHOULD NOT be a partition on its own.  It should be
in the Programs partition.
By the time I realized what I had done, the die was cast so to speak.  I did
not want to have to reinstall those programs again, so..I left it as it was.
I have even messed myself up when going to install a new Utility;  When I
went to install an update to WinRar, I went to
Disk 2   Programs
looked for a sub directory for Utilities!

That was when I smacked myself in the forehead and said..I should have put
the Utilities here!  grrrrrrrrr!
But, I was too lazy to reinstall everything..so I did not.  NO EXCUSES!

Now that I am moving to a new computer and have to reinstall everything, I
will put the Utilities in the Programs Partition (F:) as a sub directory.

Good eye and mind Mr. GMan.
Thanks,
Rose