-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Computer is slowing down

  • From: "geekette" <geekette@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:06:25 -0500

I went back to the shop where I bought the chipset and motherboard. He
dug up the information from his 'bench' man about setting the
multipliers because he didn't know it off the top of his head.
The AMD site that might provide you some information [but I couldn't
find it there or I wouldn't have wound up calling the dealer back]:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_434
8,00.html
and here is the builder's reference in pdf format
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/
26003.pdf

They said that Win 3x and 9x are not very good at managing the
higher-speed (1gig plus) processors and suggested upgrading to Win 2000
or XP.  I bought a copy of Win 2000 pro [an early birthday present] on
his recommendation. I had to buy new hardware in order to get an OEM
copy and got one of the last copies he had that didn't phone home to MS
if you reinstalled it. [I don't pirate software, but I find it a
nuisance to have to get a new number if I reinstall things--I wipe my OS
drive every 6 months.]  It nearly killed me, but I settled on buying a
60 gig harddrive.  <grin>
I know, I know, he could have been really picky and instisted that I buy
a motherboard and chipset to get the OEM, but since he is also helping
me get through college by 'stretching' my grant money to include things
I could not otherwise afford, I got by with just the HD. He knows that
he gets lots of word-of-mouth advertising from me because of his
fair-dealings and kindness.

ellie