-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Computer is slowing down

  • From: "andy" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:02:04 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Linda F. Johnson" <linda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Not sure, Rocky....but I *have* heard that there IS too much of a good
> thing....and that a defrag actually DOES put some stress on your hard
> drive and you CAN do it too often
>
> I defrag all my drives about once a month...and that's it....UNLESS I
> see a reason to do it sooner (performance decrease, etc.)...and I would
> say you could call me a power user.

Yes, that's what I've heard as well, Linda-I have a defrag on my main
partition(s) once a month, it shouldn't need it more often than that...but
the larger one I use for audio /video creation gets a defrag once a week.
When capturing video to hard disc, it's vital that your drive is in tip top
condition to avoid dropping frames, etc...

Cheers

Andy