-=PCTechTalk=- Re: CD-R versus CD-RW

  • From: "Barnstoneworth" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:50:59 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Carneal" <carnealr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2003 9:57 PM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: CD-R versus CD-RW

> True, you -can- format a CD-Rw, and I do from time to time if I want
> everything on it removed.

Everything is erased without formatting, Robert. The only time you need to
format is if you want to use it for packet writing, but packet writing
software is not the easiest to use, and if you intend using your discs on
different PC's, each one has to have the same packet software writing
program on it before it is readable.

With the cost of CD-r's so low these days, I rarely bother with CD-RW now. I
back up  my accounts package here at the office on a daily basis, the back
up is about 1mb-based on a 5 day week, I'm not going to have to get a new
disc for 2 years!!

CD-RW's are useful for creating VCD's sometimes though. Some standalone
players will not play some CD-r discs, but as CD-RW's are a bit thicker,
they are more uniformly playable. Basically it's down to trial and error.

Cheers

Andy