-=PCTechTalk=- Re: CD-R versus CD-RW

  • From: "Barnstoneworth" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:45:23 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 2:06 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: CD-R versus CD-RW

> It's not meant really to share - CDR file burning does that.  It's meant
more
> as a super floppy drive.  I've not noticed an unreasonable time to format
> (when it is necessary), but I have a pretty fast computer and lots of RAM.
> mistakenly thought you said that packet writing software was prone to
> problems - which it was at one time, but now is not.

Must admit, I've not tried it again since I first got my burner, which is
about 4/5 years ago now, and I suppose the technology and software have
moved on to make it more reliable. At that time I was running a Cyrix P300
with 128mb of RAM and it took about 2 hours to format the RW disc, and then
in use (I think it was with Easy CD Creator 3.5) it was, at best, flaky at
worst damn annoying. With the low cost of CD-r's and even CD-RW's, I've
never felt the need to re-try it. I did set it up for someone earlier this
year, and she ditched it shortly after because she couldn't get it to do
what she wanted!

Cheers

Andy