-=PCTechTalk=- Re: CD-R versus CD-RW

  • From: "DON WHITNEY" <don.whitney2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 23:39:41 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

=0D
-------Original Message-------=0D
 =0D
From: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx=0D
Date: Sunday, September 14, 2003 22:19:42=0D
To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx=0D
Subject: -=3DPCTechTalk=3D- Re: CD-R versus CD-RW=0D
 =0D
The difference between formatting and erasing is that the former removes=0D
all trace (VIRTUALLY) of data on the disc. The latter merely removes=0D
the reference pointers which lead to the specific data. I understand=0D
that it is difficult to restore data after formatting, though not=0D
necessarily impossible. I believe that the only way to ensure ABSOLUTE=0D
removal of data is to overwrite everything. Can someone able to confirm=0D
this?=0D
 =0D
Rick H=0D
 =0D
A wipe overwrites everything in 1 and 0's and renders info unrecoverable.
This is usually done several times to ensure the =0D
info cannot be recovered. Norton Utilities offers this option.=0D
=0D
Don