[pchelpers] Re: UBuntu

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:06:01 +1300

On 15/11/2010 8:47 a.m., Cyril Halbach wrote:
> I tried to install to a 500GB partition and it keeps complaining about
> things as "NO ROOT Partition" and something like correct from Partition
> table.   I do not know what it wants.
>
>   From the install instructions I gather it is better to make up some
> partitions using the Vista OS.
> Apparently Ubuntu needs three separate partitions but it does not give
> much information as to
> what size to make them etc.
>
> If I give it 20GB, and 50GB and 430GB all on the same drive will it know
> what to do with it.
> I did not want to make so many partitions I will run out of Drive
> letters for the Vista system if Vista is still going to be able to 'see'
> the Ubuntu partitions.
>
> Cy
 From my limited experience of Ubuntu, it is fairly easy to install.
Usually it is successful when installed on a machine in which it is the
only operating system. Making it work with other operating systems is
harder. There is a local user group in my area called "wellylug". These
guys know far more about it than I do. Members use this address
wellylug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
to post comments, suggestions etc on such matters. Their site is here:

Regards, John Durham
Fax/Phone 64 4 5286786
Inventor of multi-spectral fibreoptics.
Return (my novel) at http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1382737
Quote: What I cannot create, I do not understand. (Richard Feynman)