[pchelpers] Re: UBuntu

  • From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 20:35:20 -0700

Cy, the hardware might indeed be a problem. Another problem might also
be that the thing really has no swap partition, etc. Running something
off a cd is a lil tough, & when you're browsing a page as sizeable as
cnn, you're putting a lot of stress on the memory, plus the cd's being
accessed a lot. Even a small scratch on it can create difficulties.

Tell u what I'd do--if u can boot that desktop from a USB, I'd go get
me either an 8gb stick or a caddy & put an old ide drive you're not
using in it. Put Ubuntu on it, boot it up, & see how that works. The
2nd idea is better because a lot of writes will eventually kill a
thumb drive, although I think that situation is improving somewhat.

--
Change the world--1 deed at a time
Jackie McBride