RE: :) What you can't do in java you can do in perl

  • From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jreyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:55:48 -0500

Juan - I'm no Java or Perl expert, but I deal with our Java developers a
lot. However, since I doubt whether we have many experts on Java and Perl on
this list, here are my thoughts for what they are worth:
1. If you truly see Java on your career path, go for it. Nothing like a real
project to pique your interest, even if you must spend more effort up-front.
2. I think every DBA should learn Perl. That language is just too handy and
too popular to overlook.
3. How quickly you can master any language depends on your prior experience.
If you know Unix scripting languages and are familiar with the C language,
then you can master Perl very quickly.
4. I have observed our developers going through Java training, and it seems
to take them a long time to master anything. To do some tasks that come very
easily to Perl could take a long time for a Java novice to master. Now none
of these people had any significant O-O background. Depending on your
background this competence may come more quickly for you.
5. In general, eventually any task can be accomplished in any language.
However, from what I've seen, the tasks Perl does best aren't easily done in
any other language. On the other hand, I wouldn't attempt some Java tasks
with Perl. For the most part, I think each language does what it does best.
For example, when Oracle added a JVM to the database, the rumor immediately
arose that PL/SQL was being discontinued. Eventually people figured out that
the two coexist -- what PL/SQL does well it does very well, and Java is
handy for things that PL/SQL doesn't really address.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.