RE: Shared Pool Tuning

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lawrence.wolfson@xxxxxxxxxx>, <terrysutton@xxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:59:26 -0500

Beware that there are several known bugs with the
CURSOR_SHARING=[FORCE|SIMILAR] init.ora parameter -- some of them severe,
including incorrect results from some queries.  Be sure to do your homework
(*extensive* searching of MetaLink) first!  I wouldn't use it before 8.1.7.4
nor in 9i before 9.2 because of the severity of some of those bugs
For an example, see my recent posts titled "Trouble with multiple versions of
same statement in V$SQL".  We ended up hitting ORA-4031s and I think they can
be directly attributed to Oracle BUG 3406977.  I've got a query against V$SQL
and V$SQL_SHARED_CURSOR that will show the effects on the shared pool from that
bug if anyone wants.

If you can, use binds.  If you can't (like Ron and like us), make sure to
investigate CS=F|S first to determine if the potential downsides offset the
benefits.

Time to opatch!

Rich