Re: :) What you can't do in java you can do in perl

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jreyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:29:41 -0700

> I was dowloaded every thing to start to use perl, and I was going to buy
> Jared's dba on Perl book, but I asked my self, why to use perl if I can use
> java too do the same software done in perl.

Please, by the book! I will make $0.98 on the sale!

> I had investigated, and the reason to use perl, is not perl by itself, else
> the lots of libraries done to oracle, including graphics, etc. (and free)
>
> But my question is if someone who knows could please answer.
>
> What you can do in perl, you can't do in java.?

You can likely do everything in Java that you can do in Perl, and
vice versa.  The difference is that it will take much less time to
write in Perl.

Perl is also has a somewhat lighter footprint on your server, and managing
the path to modules is much easier than managing CLASSPATH for Java.

--
Jared Still