Re: :) What you can't do in java you can do in perl

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:37:26 +0000

I know some java, but very little perl. Perl is a scripting language used to
create widgets. I want to do 'x' so I'll write a perl script.
java is used to develop full blown applications that have reusable components.
though you can do this with perl, most people don't. its a waste of time to
build widgets with java. takes way too much code.

its really apples and oranges. they have different uses. btw, does perl have a
gui component? java's is pretty robust. plus you can do dynamic html with jsps
which i dont think you can do with perl. I know perl used to be used for cgi,
but i have been told its fallen out of vogue, in favor of javascript, jsps and
for microsoft people asps.