RE: :) What you can't do in java you can do in perl

  • From: "Orr, Steve" <sorr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:53:50 -0600

With Python you can have your cake and eat it too. In the Jython
implementation you can access all the cool Java GUI stuff too.=20

Avoid CGI if performance is an issue. You can get some really good
performance with mod_python (or mod_perl). I did a benchmark test with
mod_python with connection pooling where I could re-use parsed SQL with
bind variables and I got an orders of magnitude boost in performance.

Python was designed to be object oriented from the start and is much
more readable than Perl. If you can do it in Perl you can do it much
better and much prettier in Python, IMHO. If you can do it in in C/Java
chances are good that you can develop it faster in Python. Generally,
the best language is the one you know and is appropriate for the task at
hand.=20

Anyone develop with Mozilla/XUL? Very cool stuff.