Re: Oracle on Windows Vs. Linux

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 09:50:08 +0100

Some obvious things to check, which link to the other questions.

Did you enable direct IO? Windows does this natively, you may -
dependent on version of Oracle and your filesystem - have to relink
Oracle to enable this.

What else was installed and configured on the Linux box.

What is a 'virtual partition' anyway? I'm going to be doing exactly
this sort of work for a paper and presentation - the only really valid
way to test is to use identical real hardware.

Finally where did you get the 30-40% figure from, I haven't yet seen
any thorough published tests (rather than "we compared  2 unspecified
systems and got a difference of about x% in unspecified tests" type
posts).

All that said from the limited testing that I have done, both in
vmware (which doesn't meet my criteria) and on a laptop which sort of
does but isn't server hardware, your figures are broadly comparable to
mine. I've also found that the windows system seems, surprisingly to
me, to scale a little bit better (i.e I would expect the difference to
be more marked at 90 users than 30).

You might also want to checkout swingbench from dominicgiles.com which
is an oracle load tool written by an Oracle employee which allows a
lot of good things including benchmarking your own code.

regards

-- Niall Litchfield Oracle DBA http://www.orawin.info -- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l