RE: Oracle on Windows Vs. Linux

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 22:28:32 -0700

>>>O_DIRECT
>>>
>>>Yes but directio doesn't necessarily make Oracle IO faster.
>>>A little bit more is needed.  aio is a better bet.

..oh, async ? really? silly me.

The post you are responding to had to do with Jared's
point about atime updates.  Async or not, direct I/O
is what circumvents mtime/atime updates.

BTW, neither direct, nor async make I/O "faster". The DMA transfer
takes as long as the I/O subsystem will facilitate. However,
direct and/or async usually handles the same amount of I/O
with improved processor efficiency...and that, generally improves
overall system throughput. Oracle Disk Manager is about the
most efficient I/O library for Oracle...should be, Oracle
defined the library...but I digress.

I'm flashing back now..uh, right, it was 6.0.27 on Sequent
DYNIX/ptx where we implemented direct+async I/O on filesystem
files for the first time... ah, the good old days