RE: Oracle on Windows Vs. Linux

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 08:34:30 -0700

 >>>I do recall the umpteen times folks reported here and
>>>elsewhere no change or incoherent results in their
>>>cooked/dio/aio testing and the problem was, in almost all
>>>cases, OS and/or Oracle incorrectly or incompletely patched!

Nail on the head, Nuno. But the fact that anything has to
be patched to enable async IO is what has always seemed
completely rediculous to me. This is, historically, the reason
Oracle proposed the Oracle Disk Manager library specification
so that async IO would be implemented the same on every platform
so Oracle porting doesn't have to munge through heinz 57
variety of IO apis to get the OSDs right.. ODM:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/odm_wp.pdf