Re: Oracle on Windows Vs. Linux

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 14:10:53 +1000

Kevin Closson wrote,on my timestamp of 20/05/2006 4:40 AM:

        >>>Have you set noatime for the oracle filesystems?

set filesystemio_options = directIO and atime will
not be updated...that is opne of the by-products of
open with the O_DIRECT flag.

Yes but directio doesn't necessarily make Oracle IO faster. A little bit more is needed. aio is a better bet. But that one needs a bucket load of patches for Linux (<2.6 kernel) and Oracle to run together.

Which brings me to the point I want to make: ensure Oracle
- and Linux - are all patched up to run properly together.
Most 9i releases and prior aren't and neither Oracle nor Linux
(namely RH) has done anything to fix the situation.

IF it is 10g, then STILL make sure it is all patched up: the
number of bugs not fixed in 10gr1 but only fixed in 10gr2 is
astonishing.  I won't even go into the 9i ones...

--
Cheers and good luck
Nuno Souto