Re: No to SQL? Anti-database movement gains steam

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sunil.kanderi@xxxxxxxxx, Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 12:14:20 -0700 (PDT)

I've seen this kind of thing in a number of places that I've been in the
past....

Having worked with hibernate, I can tell you that the efficiency of it's
"Generated" SQL is terrible in more complex applications. If you interview
anyone that believes that you can just turn to Hibernate and forget the
database layer, that would be an automatic disqualification in my mind. The
problem, as I see it, is several fold.

First, you have rouge developers who are tired of the database guys telling
them they they have to think about database design, they have to think about
performance and they have to think about more than just getting the application
up and running with the right answers. These are the guys who start the ninja
projects using databases that are not common to the enterprise (say, MySQL in a
prodominatly Oracle environment). I think there are a number of reasons that
this happens. Cost, the perception that development is sped up, and then there
is #2...

Second, the DBA clan has, in general, not caught up to the notion of Agile
development methodologies in many cases. It's not just the DBA's but other
component pieces like project management, infrastructure, etc. We can't (or
won't) respond fast enough, so develpers take on a ninja/dark forces attitude.

I'm sure there are other reasons but these come immediately to mind and I can't
spend the afternoon writing a white paper on my overall experience with this
problem. I also have a few solutions in mind, but thats a different response.

An interesting article on Cloud computing and security related concerns:

http://www.darkreading.com/securityservices/security/attacks/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=218102139&cid=nl_DR_DAILY_H

Cheers!

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON IT'S WAY SOON!
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide
(Sybex)
Portable DBA: Oracle  (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Other various titles out of print now...
The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You do have to be a Church member in
good standing. A lot of kind people write me, concerned I may be breaking
the law by saying you have to be a Church member. It's legal I promise! :-)
http://pages.sssnet.com/messndal/church/parachurch.pdf